Hip Hop's Non-Bloggingness & Our Image

On: Friday, March 14, 2008

If you have never been to my blog let me start this post off with some formalities for yall. My name is Amardo Gonzalez and I am a 3rd year student at Northern Illinois University. I am a communications major and I have been blogging since Summer of '06. I have about 400 posts thus far. I am a 21 year old very heterosexual hispanic male that has a very healthy appetite for women (haha). Now that that's out of the way I want to take on a subject that many of you have probably never thought of or really care too much about. But I do!!!

First off I just want to say that blogging is one of my favorite hobbies even though I do not have the time to do it as often as I would like because of school. However, whenever I am on a Spring Break (which is the case now) or in between semesters (mid-December through early January and early May through late August) I tend to blog ALOT. Mostly because I am too broke to go anywhere for my breaks or I have nothing to do at 3 in the morning. Also, let me say that my blog is not about anything specific. Some people can say that their blog is about this or that, some blogs are made to serve one sole purpose (make money online, personal journals, art, photography, etc.) and that's fine but my blog is NOTHING like that. I blog about everything!!! I blog about whatever the hell I want to when I get the motivation to do it. The post before this one was about the upcoming Speed Racer movie. The blog post before the Speed Racer one was about Lupe Fiasco doing something really un-Lupe Fiasco-like. You see a pattern here??? NO YOU DONT because there ISN'T one!!! I blog about whatever interests me; not you, not your mom, not your daddy, not your boyfriend, not your boss; I blog about MY interests. Why do I do it then??? Because it entertains ME. BUT!!! I also do it because I feel that people really stereotype my "kind" of people because there seems to be a really negative image about people that like the things I like and maybe you all are right. Maybe all people that live the hip hop culture ARE exactly what you think they are. Maybe youre wrong. Whether you are right or wrong is nothing that can be determined in any way, shape, or form; its impossible. But you CAN have YOUR own personal opinion and my blog can maybe help you shape that opinion in a more educated manner. Take my blog, read it, learn about me and the things that I do and the things that interest me and then after you've done all that, form your now educated opinion. No longer will your opinion be based on what you hear others say about us. Ofcourse I can't speak for everybody that follows and is true to the hip hop culture because everyone has a mind of their own and everyone is their own person but atleast by reading my blog you can see that not all of us are the same. And if I shape ONE persons' opinion (whether i reinforce it or change it) then atleast you are not feeling the way you feel about us because of what someone else said. Atleast your opinion would then be YOUR OWN and it would not be out of left field. I mean, you can even take it one step further and actually TALK to me. Leave me a comment, leave me a question, send me an e-mail. Do whatever you want to or need to. I am one of the friendliest people I know (haha). Do NOT be afraid to ask me anything. Remember, I am a communications major, if i don't know anything else I know how to talk to people.

I know I got a little off track but what I want to talk about is the fact that more people like me do not blog. I am the only one of my friends that has a blog!!! Well my girlfriend Demiera just started blogging not too long ago but that was because she saw how much fun I had with mine that she started her own and is LOVING it. Like I was saying, the hip hop culture JUST DOESN'T BLOG!!! Why is that?!?!? Honestly, I only have theories as to why. I don't know for sure. One of my theories is that blogging may be too much work and the hip hop culture likes to be active and loves to have fun. We would rather be out and about chasing the opposite sex, making money, socializing, doing "cool" things than to be INSIDE writing something that isn't even going to be turned in for a grade. Add to that, who's going to read it anyway? Most blogs I have seen don't even get any traffic. That makes us think "what for?" Why should I blog??? Ain't nobody gonna see it anyway. Nobody's going to leave me sexy comments like they do on MySpace and Facebook. 99% of the time you can't even see who the actual author of a blog is and on MySpace and Facebook its all about the individual, not the thoughts of the individual or what the individual cares about or has to say.

Its crazy because I think that people that share my interests would make GREAT bloggers. The hip hop culture is so fresh and unique that the possibilities are endless. Myself, I believe that I am unique beyond measure. Why??? Because my interests are so hybrid that I confuse myself sometimes lol I really do. And I believe I confuse my closest friends as well too sometimes. See me, I have a taste for things that you normally wouldn't expect from someone that stays true to the hip hop culture. For example, I absolutely love science fiction, space, the paranormal, Japanese culture, and ofcourse BLOGGING!!! What other person you know has that type of diversity in their life??? And if you try to say that I am not really hip hop then let me tell you this. I am SOOOO hip hop, that I discriminate on hip hop as well. Its kind of hard to explain but the term hip hop is used so loosely these days that I discriminate against people who misuse the term and I discriminate against things that are considered hip hop to the masses. I bet you're saying "what the fuck is he talkin about?" And thats ok. For example, followers of hip hop like to argue about who the greatest rapper alive is. Alot of hip hop fanatics would say that a rapper by the name of Lil Wayne is the greatest rapper alive. But not me. Lil Wayne raps about money, hoes, and clothes. But guess what? So do alot of other rappers. Sure, Lil Wayne is definitely the best in that department but to me, thats just not hip hop. To me thats gangsta rap. Even though Lil Wayne IS the best out there when it comes to rapping about those subjects, its just not original. The hip hop culture is about originality above anything else. Artists like Lupe Fiasco and Kanye West are the personification of hip hop. They are rappers, they are artists, they are creative and unique. They have style, they have pose, they stand for something. They are revolutionary, they are visionaries. They are changing "the game." They do NOT follow the formula, they re-invent it and make it better. They ARE hip hop. If you still don't understand what I am talking about and you still think we are all the same, do yourself a favor and go to your local Best Buy and purchase an album called Lupe Fiasco's The Cool. Don't worry, ask anybody that works at the store, they'll know what you're talking about.

Back to the original subject of this post...
Why doesn't the hip hop culture blog??? Its too much work with very little rewards. We would rather hunt for girls (or guys if you are a female).

After reading everything I just wrote and examining my blog, do you still have the same opinion about me and people of my culture??? If nothing else, then atleast you now know that we are not all the same. I hope.

118 Fuck it, let's blog

2 comments on "Hip Hop's Non-Bloggingness & Our Image"

Cheeks Filibuster said...

I am impressed at your hiphop bloggingness, as I can see that you're right about the lack of it in the hiphop world. Keep it up.

Hyaku Juuhachi said...

Thanks Cheeks!!! I wrote that last night like at 5AM. I couldn't sleep because I drank an energy drink so I was wide awake. Having nothing to do makes you real intellectual lol

118