Blogger Love

On: Friday, March 14, 2008

I was on BlogCatalog today and I ran across a broadcast that really bothered me. It was about the war between Wordpress and Blogger. It is easy to see and you should probably already know that I am a hardcore Blogger fan. But something in that blog post really bothered me. In the blog post there was a few reasons why Wordpress is better than Blogger but the one that really has me worried is reason #4. To read the blog post in its entirety just click on the link.

http://www.searchforblogging.com/index.php/2008/03/11/blogging-wars-wordpress-vs-blogger/

Reason #4 is...
Copyrights and Ownership of Content
I started with Blogger and I won’t say that it’s bad. But after a while I started to get frustrated with Blogger, and here’s why: Google Owns Your Content
Google has the authority to shut down your account without warning if they don’t like what you’re blogging about. You don’t have absolute control over your own blog. With Wordpress, you own the domain name and the blog is hosted on your own account. You have full control over your content.
With the self-hosted version of Wordpress (not Wordpress.com), you’re free to write about anything you want, and use the software in any way you want. Yes, Blogger allows you to publish to your own domain, but they still own the database that holds your content! Don’t forget that!

That is taken straight out of the article. I did not modify it in any way (other than applying italics lol). Like I was saying this has me a little worried because according to the article, basically Google can shut my blog down whenever they feel like it. I don't like that at all. I am not comfortable with that. So i tried switching over to Wordpress and I did. I imported my blog and all that but as soon as I did it I regretted it. I felt like a traitor and Wordpress just doesn't tickle my fancy. I love Blogger and I'm going to stick with it. Hopefully I never get shut down. If it DOES happen, I'll obviously try and do something about it. Obviously I won't stay with Blogger anymore if they shut down my blog. Under those circumstances I'll have to look for a new blogging platform. I'm just not going to worry about it until it actually happens if it ever does. But for now...

118 Blogger is my home

0 comments on "Blogger Love"